Friday, April 2, 2010

Raspberry Shortcakes




I love strawberry shortcakes, they are one of the cutest desserts I know of and they always invoke memories of warm spring and summer days for me. My mom use to serve them when it was warm, the typical store bought little cakes, strawberries with glaze and some cool-whip to top them off. They were delicious, some times simple is good. I still occasionally make this variety for my family minus the glaze and I've even done super fancy ones where I baked my own shortcake. This time however I wanted something cute, easy and a little different. I went the route of raspberry shortcakes. Everybody in my house loves raspberries, Sweets can eat a container all by her little self. These were super fast to make and tasted so good. Here is the recipe.

Raspberry Shortcakes- makes 12 mini shortcakes

fresh raspberries
1/2 package cream cheese
1 c. confectioners sugar
black raspberry jelly- melted
pound cake- store bought or homemade
small amount of cream or milk
vanilla


In a bowl mix softened cream cheese with the jelly and vanilla until combined. Add the confectioners sugar and beat until combined. Add cream until the mixture is the consistency of toothpaste. Cut pound cake into squares to fit a cupcake wrapper.

Layer a square in the bottom, top with a tsp of raspberry jelly.


Pipe the cream cheese mixture on top of the jelly (about 1 tbs) top with fresh raspberries.

I hope you make this with your family today and remember you could easily substitute pretty much any berry. Or think outside of the box, how good would these be with orange marmalade?

Kim

3 comments: