Monday, February 9, 2009

What to do with leftover meatloaf


So as I had mentioned in my last post I made meatloaf the other night, now for anyone who has ever made meatloaf you know that you are always left with enough meatloaf to feed a whole other family after yours has eaten. So yesterday I was faced with making lunch and there was a tupperware dish full of cold meatloaf starring me in the face. So I decided not to let the leftovers get the best of me and set forth to make it even better than it started. So this tasty meatloaf sandwich was born:

Leftover meatloaf sandwich (makes 2)

4 slices bread
2 slices leftover meatloaf
1 wedge laughing cow garlic cheese
2 tbs. butter or margarine divided
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 c. shredded mozzarella cheese

In a large pan heat 1 tbs, butter until melted. In the mean time heat the other tbs. of butter for about 10 seconds or until softened in the microwave. Combine the softened butter with the garlic powder, spread on one side of each slice of bread. Heat up the meatloaf slices in the microwave. Take two slices of bread and spread half of the garlic cheese on each slice, lay butter side down in heated pan. Sprinkle each slice with 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese and then top with the meatloaf slice, more mozzarella cheese and the other slice of bread butter side up. Cook until the bottom is toasted and then carefully flip and continue cooking until toasted, remove from pan, slice in half and serve immediately. The husband tried to steal my sandwich when he was done with his so I guess it gets the thumbs up.

On another note I've been surprised by how much cooking I've been doing lately, I think it must be weather related, sort of a hibernation survival thing. I always cook dinner, but its usually just throwing together something quickly. I haven't been spending nearly enough time on my sewing projects, I think it has just been too cold in our house for me to want to sit up at night and work. I usually just get under the electric blanket and watch t.v. I guess these days the warmth of the kitchen is much more appealing. I did start working on some valentines sewing projects for the wee ones in my life last night, it just so happened to coincide with the weather being an unseasonable 60+ degrees! I also began planning out Sweets Easter dress which I plan on making. Bug has a really cute Strasburg outfit that my cousin bought for him to wear, so this year I only have to make one outfit. I really want to tackle a more advanced sewing pattern for Sweets dress, just waiting for the pattern to go on sale at the fabric store. I have a lot of projects in the works for the husbands valentines gift but can't go into detail yet as I don't want to spoil it. Speaking of valentines, Sweets asked if we could go to the Chinese buffet for valentines day, when I asked her why she wanted to do that, she explained that her class had been working on Chinese New Year crafts and that every time she heard the word "chinese"all she could think about was, and I quote "those delicious noodles and rice". It's such a simple request that I think we will have to oblige and take the family out for chinese food Saturday. It's funny how your idea of valentines day changes when you have kids it becomes much more about love and less about romantic mushy stuff.

-Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment