Friday, February 13, 2009

Peanut Butter Cups


I have had a recipe for peanut butter balls (aka buckeyes) that has been passed on for three generations at least and we make it every year for Christmas, Easter, and any other time we feel like having something extra sweet and indulgent. The only thing that gets tiring for me when making candy is the dipping process, when you make hundreds of pieces of candy at Christmas time you are really exhausted by the time you get done rolling and dipping all of it. So this year as I was making some candy for Valentines Day, I thought I would try something new. I got out my mini-muffin pans, lined them and then started on my attempt at peanut butter cups. First I spooned a little melted chocolate into each cup and set in the freezer to harden. Next I put a small ball of my peanut butter mixture into each cup and smashed it down, then I followed with more melted chocolate to cover, sprinkles and then refrigerated until set. Now they aren't exact duplicates of the store bought variety since they aren't completely covered in chocolate but the chocolate layers on mine are a little thicker so I think it works out to about the same ratio. To me they are just right, who can resist the combo of chocolate and pb, not I. I love how they look like little cupcakes. Oh and it saved my back a lot of discomfort doing it this way and a lot of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment