Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cinnamon-pecan scones


Yes, more scones. They were just so good the other day. So I was looking at my previous post and it came to me cinnamon rolls + scones = cinnamon-pecan scones, and since I am going to visit my mother-in-law today I thought I should put the plan into action. So I took my recipe for the blueberry scones and gave it an overhaul to produce these sweeties. I used honey this time, but I may swap for maple syrup the next time since after I had them in the oven it occurred to me that the syrup would have been a good flavor combination. I made candied pecans to go in these but you could just use plain if you are short on time. So here is the recipe, enjoy!

Candied pecans

1 1/2 c. roughly chopped pecans
2 tbs. white sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla

Heat the oven to 350

In a 8x8 pan spray pecans generously with cooking spray and toss to coat. Add vanilla to the pecans and toss to coat. In a small bowl mix together the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, add to the pecans and toss to coat. Heat in the oven for 10 minutes watching carefully so they don't burn. Remove from oven and let cool.

Cinnamon-pecan scones

2 c. all purpose flour
1 tbs. baking powder
3/4 tbs. salt
6 tbs. cold butter cut in pieces
1 tbs. white sugar plus some for sprinkling on top
2 tbs. honey
1/3 c. heavy cream, plus more for brushing tops
1/2 c. sour cream
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 c. candied pecans

Heat the oven to 400 degrees

In a large bowl stir together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter until the texture is very small crumbs. Make a well in the center of flour mixture. In a small bowl stir together honey, cream and sour cream, add to the well in the center. Add the cinnamon and pecans at this point also. Stir with a fork until a ball forms, take out of bowl and knead just a few times, don't overwork as this will cause a tough scone. Form into a 6x6 square on your baking pan, cut into 4 equal squares and then into 8 triangles. Brush the tops with heavy cream and sprinkle with a cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake 20 minutes. When cooled you can drizzle a "icing" on top. Just mix 1/2 c. confectioners sugar with 1 tsp. cinnamon and enough heavy cream to make a glaze.

-Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment