Thursday, February 5, 2009

Italian Pasta With Cream Cheese

I am always looking for recipes that are super fast, use few dishes, incorporate healthy ingredients and most importantly my kiddos will eat. So last night while looking through the pantry and realizing that I had poorly planned while at the grocery for our week's meals I had a brain storm. This dish can be prepared in 30 minutes or less, makes a ton
( leftovers), and is packed full of whole grains, veggies, and calcium. Best of all the family liked it, which is always the best compliment to any recipe. Something else I discovered about this recipe is that it is maybe even better cold, so I am thinking this will be a great summer pasta salad recipe also. So without further ado, the recipe:


1 box whole grain penne pasta
thinly sliced red, green, and yellow bell peppers (I used frozen, but you can use whichever)
1 small chopped white onion (once again I used frozen)
1 bag Bird's Eye steamable frozen asparagus, white corn and baby carrots ( you could use fresh)
12 oz fat free or reduced fat garden vegetable cream cheese
1/2 cup prepared light Italian Dressing
4 thinly sliced chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
Italian seasoning 2 tsp
garlic powder 2 tsp
salt
pepper
Parmesan cheese as garnish

Place entire box of penne in lightly salted boiling water, cook until al dente, drain, meanwhile in large frying pan lightly sprayed with olive oil, add peppers, onions, chicken, garlic powder, and italian seasoning. Cook until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Cook vegetables in their steamable bag 5 minutes in microwave. In pot with pasta add cream cheese and italian dressing, toss to coat. Add chicken and cooked veggies, toss to coat, add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm with parmesan cheese on top, or refrigerate over night and serve cold as pasta salad.

I hope you and your families enjoy this easy, healthy dish as much as my family did.

-Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment