Thursday, April 16, 2009

Spring Decorating Ideas

I have been very neglectful of my blogging lately, but in my defense I lost my card reader so I couldn't upload any pictures, but I finally found it today. Anyway I promise to be better about posting in the future.
So my hosting of Easter went over without a hitch and I was so glad for it to be over. It did get me thinking about my decorating scheme a little and I managed to get a few things redone before the brunch. The first was the top of my china cabinet, I had really planned on doing some sort of Easter display there, but on one of my thrift store trips I came across these two old milk glass mixing bowls and after picking them up I found a few more pieces of milk glass at the same store. So I walked around with the bowls for a bit trying to decide if I really needed them all the while keeping the other pieces in my mind. So eventually I could clearly see some sort of Martha inspired collection of milk glass pieces on top of my china cabinet. The only problem with this plan was that it was about a week before Easter and the only milk glass collection i had to speak of was the one in my shopping cart at the thrift store. So I bought it anyway, thinking I would try and hit some more thrift stores and maybe find a few more pieces. Well the original few pieces sat on my china cabinet looking pretty sad and bare until the Friday before Easter when I finally found time to do some shopping. I went first to my local Peddlers Mall since they have such a wide variety of vendors and lots of glass and pottery. Well I totally hit the jackpot and was glad I went there first. I found a few cute pieces as I walked around and they were all under 4 dollars apiece, but then I came to a booth that only sold milk glass. I almost literally squealed in delight. I picked out several pieces all a few dollars a piece. All in all I bought about five or six pieces that day and spent less than fifteen dollars total. I hadn't been to that peddlers mall in a few years but I will for sure be going back, the prices are crazy good. So anyway I know most people spend years collecting stuff, but quite frankly I am impatient and change my mind to often to devote that kind of time to a collection so I put mine together in a week!! The next thing I did was a little centerpiece for my dining room table. I made the table runner out of some beautiful home decor weight fabric that I picked up at Hancock's for four dollars a yard. Then I got these four glass candy containers at the thrift store once again for about a dollar a piece, and my thrift store had a bunch of them in different sizes. I then filled them with candy in colors to match the runner, yellow, orange and green. It looked as pretty as flowers in my opinion and my guests were able to snack on them, so none of the waste of flowers. I also think I may reuse these for the kids party putting m&m's and other bright colored candy in them. I hope you can take some of the ideas and put them to use for yourselves.

-Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment